Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brokeback Mountain
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain Reply with quote

Seeing as people [well me and Pipsqueak anyway] are getting interested in this film, which stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger, I copied this off IMDB. Interesting, especially the last point: what the heck were they DOING?

Plot Summary for
Brokeback Mountain (2005)

A raw, powerful story of two young men, a Wyoming ranch hand and a rodeo cowboy, who meet in the summer of 1963 sheepherding in the harsh, high grasslands of contemporary Wyoming and form an unorthodox yet life-long bond--by turns ecstatic, bitter and conflicted.

[Summary written by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana]

Trivia:

During the filming of the Fourth of July scenes in Fort Macleod the crew would get the extras pumped up by telling them to act like the Calgary Flames had just won the Stanley Cup.

Heath Ledger has a nude scene in which he jumps into a lake. The director intends to edit any actual frontal nudity out of the film, but a paparazzi took photos of Ledger with a digital camera. The photos have appeared on the internet and in some press publications.

Some reports have it that director Ang Lee barred screenwriter Larry McMurtry from the set of the movie. A spokeswoman for Focus Features, which is producing it, commented: "Larry McMurtry can never go on sets because he's got very severe allergies." Larry McMurtry was in the midst of writing a novel when filming began and ended; no one barred him from the set - he was busy writing fiction. Diana Ossana is the co-writer of the screenplay and a producer, and she was on set during the entire filming.

According to reports, Heath Ledger nearly broke co-star Jake Gyllenhaal's nose while filming a kissing scene.
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you almost break a nose by kissing someone??? how he was kissing him?? I need to see that movie! Shocked
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering that, too. Kissing violently? Laughing I think I'm going to see that movie...
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEE! how can they pulled that scene but not Alexander and Hephaestion? that makes me mad! Mad
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we always return to this subject... Smile
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are teasing us. Maybe what happened was, Jake was so bad at kissing that Heath said 'not like that, you idiot' and punched him on the nose. Or maybe Jake took him by surprise, so he punched him on the nose Laughing

I was a bit disappointed when I read this summary. I had been having fantasies that this film would be set in the Civil War, Jake and Heath would be soldiers on opposing sides who got stranded together somewhere. At first they automatically hated each other, but then their feelings turned to Lerve...... I'd convinced myself that this would be the story, but now its all different Sad Laughing Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ledger, Gyllenhaal may play gay cowboys
SUBMITTED BY Timbo

January 14, 2004 — Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are in negotiations to star in Ang Lee's next movie "Brokeback Mountain" about gay cowboys, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Brokeback Mountain" revolves around two men who meet one summer in Wyoming and form a bond and love that spans 20 years. The film tracks that time period and their evolving relationship. The start date has yet to be determined.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ledger, Gyllenhaal may play gay cowboys
SUBMITTED BY Timbo

January 14, 2004 — Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are in negotiations to star in Ang Lee's next movie "Brokeback Mountain" about gay cowboys, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Brokeback Mountain" revolves around two men who meet one summer in Wyoming and form a bond and love that spans 20 years. The film tracks that time period and their evolving relationship. The start date has yet to be determined.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! I didn't realise it was Ang Lee directing it. It should be an excellent film with such a good director and stars. Very Happy
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine - I love your idea of Brokeback Mountain being set in the war (reminds me of a gay Cold Mountain - didn't we discuss that somewhere?) and think that some aspiring director should take it up - that would make a GOOD story - maybe, one night when they're freezing cold, they have no option but to hold eachother to share body warmth - and then............ whoops, my imaginations running away with me again - but that would be good!
Admittedly two cowboys on a ranch who fall in love sounds a little contrived - but hey - it's two gorgeous guys kissing - who aren't gay! and I think films like that are far more poignant than any others

Canny wait for it - let's hope that it's done in the right way - giving us a tasteful look at a male relationship that goes further than a pat on the back or a shake of the hand - Come on Ang Lee - we know you can do it

think I read somewher that a US release for this film is November - so let's hope the UK follow shortly after (or before - which would make a nice change now wouldn't it!)
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Pip, you finally found this thread Laughing Yes I think we did discuss a gay Cold Mountain and couldn't agree who would play the Nicole Kidman part and who would play the Jude Law part.

yes, we should make this 'gay Cold Mountain' film. I don't suppose Jake and Heath would want to do this sort of thing again though, so who would be your ideal actors for these parts? what about Joaquin Phoenix and, er, some blond one, can't think who.

You're right, I hope its done well. Wouldn't it be awful if they 'realised the error of their ways and were cured' at the end of the film?!? There are societies in the world who try and 'cure' gay people, aren't there. How silly they are.
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Leto will be a good candidate. He himself said he will play a gay character any day of the week.
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - Jared Leto played a gay character in Black and White - didn't he - my god, he looked good in that film - question: is he really a blond? I only ask because in Fight Club & Black and White he has this shocking blond hair - but I think brown suits him better.....

He would be good for our alternative version of Cold Mountain (not least because it's about time Hollywood gave him more leading roles - goddamn it!!!) and I think he would be great as the Ida character.
But who to play Inman - now let me think........(can't you just hear the cogs turning) OH OH I know - Colin Farrell!!!!!
Nah - just kidding, although that would be good.
What about Gerard Butler (Phanton of the Opera) he's cute in a butch sort of way - or our own british born and bred Daniel Craig (he's even more cute!) Hugh Jackman could be my Inman, anyday - or what about Orlando Bloom (he looks tastier than ever in Kingdom of Heaven - can't wait for that one)
Joaquin Phoenix, hey (how the hell do you pronounce his name, anyway?) yeah, he's got the rustic kinda look - can't think of anyone blond for him, though - what about that bloke who stared in T3: Rise of the Machines -he was also in the god-awful Carnivale - he might be too young looking though......or what's his name who played Hector in the more-than-god-awful Troy - the list goes on and on
Hey, this is fun - career as casting manager? I think so...........
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is fun. Time spent thinking about hunky young actors is never wasted Wink

I can't think of any blond ones, I don't usually look at them. But actually what about Perdiccas, Neil Jackson was it? He looked very nice.

I liked that bloke in North and South on television some months ago, Richard something. Dark, brooding and earthy. I thought he would make a good Kind Arthur, better than Clive Owen was in the latest version of it.

I think you pronounce Joaquin as WackEEN. Laughing Actually if his brother, River, was still alive, he was blondish and a good actor. But obviously River would have to go with someone else, he couldn't snog his own brother! Shocked

The trouble is, all the actors I can think of are my age and probably too old to play young soldiers these days. We need some younger person to come along and tell us who are up and coming actors these days....
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim pickings, indeed - other than CF and JL they're all turning geriatric!
MMhhhh yes, Neil Jackson - very nice.

It's true that you learn something new everyday - can you believe I never made the connection between Joaquin and River (god, their parents must have smoked some pretty heavy stuff) I mean PHEONIX - hello!
You (phonetically) pronounce it Wackeen - no wonder I've never heard anyone say it - it's too weird!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: