Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brokeback Mountain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys - glad to see Brokeback is still up for discussion - and yes, Apelles - anything done by Oliver Stone does seem ripe for the ripping by Hollywood - anyone else seems to be able to get away with it - perhaps it's because Brokeback isn't billed as a blockbuster - and therefore doesn't need to generate so much of the old green stuff.
Anyway - I went to see Brokeback today - full of anticipation at seeing the gorgeous Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger in each others arms - unfortunately - I've come away with mixed feelings about the film and would love to hear about what other people think of it. Is it just me or did it seem to be lacking all the passion Amercia has said it has? For some reason, I just couldn't warm to Ennis (Heath's character), he just didn't seem to posses the emotion I was expecting from him. I tried my best to feel something for the both of them, but it just wasn't there. Also, it seems the only way Hollywood believes two men to kiss is by looking as if there trying to head-butt one another - I didn't see any passionate meeting of the lips or longing of the eyes (except Jake toward the end) and their first initmate encounter could only be discribed as akin to rape rather than any passionate out pouring of need (although this could be because Ennis was unsure of what he was doing). It just seemed to me that this was a film about two homosexual men made for a hetersexual audience. There was more passion and longing portrayed between Colin Farrell and Jared Leto atop the balcony in Alexander than there was in the whole of this film. Sad
Still, it could be because I had such high expectations of the film, so maybe another look with greater perspective is warranted. And there are great scenes of sweeping vistas to enjoy - and 2 beautiful men to look at - so it wasn't a total loss. Smile
As soon as anyone else sees it please let me know what you think....
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pips!!! welcome back!! where have you been?
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adriv - thanks for the welcome - yes, I've been naughty haven't I? Embarassed

Apologies - but I'm back and still loving Mr Farrell and looking forward to The New World - saw a killer trailer for it when I went to see Brokeback - I must say, although Colin was great in Alexander - I do love the black hair and beard - suits him MUCH better... Smile

Have you seen Brokeback yet? If so, let us know whatya thought....
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipsqueak wrote:
Hi Adriv - thanks for the welcome - yes, I've been naughty haven't I? Embarassed

Apologies - but I'm back and still loving Mr Farrell and looking forward to The New World - saw a killer trailer for it when I went to see Brokeback - I must say, although Colin was great in Alexander - I do love the black hair and beard - suits him MUCH better... Smile

Have you seen Brokeback yet? If so, let us know whatya thought....

No, I haven't yet. None of my friends wants to go see it with me Sad
I might have to go by myself I guess.
isela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I watched some parts of it in a special about the incoming movies. I think is going to be an interesting movie. Im waiting anxiously to watched the Malvoro man in a new scheme Laughing
alessandros

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to wait untill 12 feb for the local theaters to start screening
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now more than ever I want to see the movie.

4 Golden Globes! wow! Shocked

This is what I don't understand.... why people gave so much s*it to Alexander the movie?. Rolling Eyes
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:
Now more than ever I want to see the movie.

4 Golden Globes! wow! Shocked

This is what I don't understand.... why people gave so much s*it to Alexander the movie?. Rolling Eyes

I don't understand, either. It will always remain a mystery.... Sad
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Brokeass MT Reply with quote

Leonidas here with his once in while posts that I write. But I had to say something about the recent all american gay cowboy movie that everyone here in the good old right wing United States is raving about. One thing I wouldnt take my dog to this picture!!! All this is Hollywood hype and Iknow becasue I live less than two hours from hollywood I am so sick of hearing about this movie!!!! Whats the difference alexander dealt with gay issues and I would hardly say that american cowboys are heroic not compared to alexander no way jose!!! America cannot not relate to alexander like it does in Europe thats why the movie flopped over here americans dont care about ancient history just their own from 1776 and onward !!! It s a fact yes there are a few of us in here adriv and cindoo who are only a few who still love this movie from america but most of you are from europe and this is part of your history most of all . But for me it will always be part of me Either it be Greek or Roman history I am with it until the end!!!!thank you!!
Adriv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! *Applause*

Leonidas - good to see you back! Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see Brokeback yesterday,with an open mind,after,as Leonidas said,all the hype.Possibly,I could have been influenced by the fact that I,d read the story by Annie Proux but I loved it.I thought it was done with great sensitivity and carried from the original story that inter-relationship between the characters and the landscape which worked beautifully.Proux has this knack of finding characters struggling with their identities and placing them in a spectacular natural setting where they can find themselves.She did it with Quoyle in The Shipping News and again here with Ennis and Jack.It,s only when they come out of the isolation of Brokeback Mountain and into contact with the real world that the relationship becomes impossible.
Pipsqueak wrote.
Quote:
I've come away with mixed feelings about the film and would love to hear about what other people think of it. Is it just me or did it seem to be lacking all the passion Amercia has said it has? For some reason, I just couldn't warm to Ennis (Heath's character), he just didn't seem to posses the emotion I was expecting from him. I tried my best to feel something for the both of them, but it just wasn't there.

I was interested in this remark.I know exactly what you mean about Ennis and I felt the same until I realised that the plot hung partly on the fact that his emotions were repressed. He couldn,t commit himself entirely to Jack and their possible life together and so that passion was never seen to be the deep mutual type seen between Alexander and Hephaistion.Ennis was just too taciturn to openly show the depth of his love and also too terrified of society,s violent reaction,whereas Alexander and Hephaistion,s relationship was within the conventions of their culture and therefore could be expressed without restrictions.Does this make any sense of the very restrained performance from Ledger?Only at the end,when Jack meets the end Ennis feared all along does the depth of his longing come out,but typically in an inarticulate way.I thought the scene where he finds the shirt in Jack,s room and takes it away was so poignant.Again,very little was said,but the understanding between him and Jack,s mother was brilliant.
So,generally,I loved it,with a few reservations.

What I find incredible is the complete turnaround in attitude to the theme of male/male relationships within the space of a year.I read a review from a critic who said that this film was a ground-breaker for a new wave of "gender movies",whatever the hell that means.Well,sorry,but this is breathtaking hypocricy from critics who,only a year ago were conducting a witch hunt on Oliver Stone for portraying exactly the same theme!He was even pressurised to edit out of the d.c. precisely the same type of material which is all set,I,m sure to sweep the Oscars.To use an Americanism,"Go figure"!If I thought it unfair and unjustified then,I can,t tell you how strongly I feel now.But critics are pack animals and enjoy a feeding frenzy on a vulnerable target."Alexander the Gay" was just too good a chance to get at Oliver Stone.Also,the intolerance of the Irish accents was pathetically insular.
Finally I would love to know what demographic the audiences for Brokeback fit into and who it was aimed at.Pipsqueak,s remark that it was a homosexual movie made for a heterosexual audience makes a lot of sense.Certainly,that appeared to be the case when I went.Also.did whole sections of America stay away as they did for Alexander or is Leonidas right when he remarks that Brokeback,s more acceptable because of it,s setting within an American context?
apelles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to Ms.Proulx.I managed to spell her name wrong! Embarassed
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw it! it is a great movie but sad... Sad
The end made me tear, I thought it was well done. I wish it wins lots of awards, it deserves it. Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,it,s just possible I,m going nuts but this film,s haunted me ever since I saw it.So I went again and on second viewing it,s even better!Many of my friends have pre-judged it and won,t go for pretty ridiculous reasons.Reading user reviews on the film sites I,ve realised that thousands of people have been as powerfully moved as I,ve been.I hope it wins everything,it deserves to.
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back home an hour ago. It's around 3.00. Yes, I know it's late but I wanted to tell you that I was at the cinema. I saw 'Brokeback Mountain'....twice! That's why I returned home so late.
What I think about it, I'll tell you tomorrow........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: