Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander's Lovers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Alexander's Lovers Reply with quote

There's a very informative site ' *** 'where you can find interesting things about Alexander. One topic is about his lovers. NOw, let's imagine we went back in Alex's time,which of these lovers would we like to be?
Here is the list:
1) CALLIXENA. Alex's parents arranged for this Thessalian prostitute to entertain him.But nothing happened!
2)CAMPASPE(also known as Pancaste).She was one of Alexander's concubine.She might have been the first woman with whom Al had sexual intercourse.
3) BARSINE.She was Persian and the only woman he had sex before his marriage to Roxane.SHe bore him one child,Herakles.She was neither a mistress nor a concubine.She was a woman of the king,which included special status,prestige and some influence without being the king's wife.
4) QUEEN STATIRA,WIFE of DARIUS.We will never learn the entire truth about Alexander's affection towards her;but even if it was not sexual at all, his deep sorrow when she died might justify her as a true love.
5)THALESTRIS;the Amazon Queen.(also known as MINYTHYIA or THALESTRIA.She was the legendery Queen of the Amazons.SHE begged Alexander to conceive a child with her.They spent 13 days together as a couple, while he was "serving her passion".
6)BAGOAS,the eunuch.He was very good looking.Even Darius had had a sexual relationship with him.
7) EUXENIPPUS.He was a boy and one of Alexander's favourite.
Cool ROXANE.His first official wife.He fell in love with her at first sight.Though she was a captive, he refused to take her into his bed before they were married.She conceived one stllborn infant son from Alexander in 326BC.She was again pregnant when he died.
8)QUEEN CLEOPHIS.(also known as CANDACE).She was the beautiful queen of Massaga.She was sleeping with Al and subsequently bore him a son named Alexander!(but maybe this is not reality)
9)PRINCESS STATIRA and PARYSATIS. He married both (the same day).Statira was Darius' daughter and Parysatis was the daughter of the Persian king Artaxerxes III.
10) HEPHAESTION.The man who was Alexander's greatest love of all.-and perhaps his only true love.When he died Al "lay stretched on the corpse all day and the whole night too". Alexander's grief was uncontrollable.

Ok .Choose which lover you 'd like to be d.....why!
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey! Our Al certainly got around a bit in his short life! Makes me feel quite inadequate- I've only ever had 2 boyfriends! Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! he was busy alright like Catherine said...

I adore Hephaestion, so even though I´m not a man I will be one just for Alexander, just because he (heph) was the ONLY and true love of Alexander. And I will make sure next time I grab him and take him to the tent and have my way with Al on the eve of battle.... Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna - you're right, the *** sight is a wealth of information. If I'm not on this site, I'm over there. It's easy to find me; my name is Pam and well, that is my screen name over there. I've found that if I ever have a question I cannot find the answer to, if I ask over there someone always has an answer for me or many people give their point of view.

So, which lover of Alexander would I be? I didn't have to think about it long. Hephaestion - of coarse!! Why? Because he was the one Alexander loved most and he knew Alexander the best of anyone. Alexander trusted Hephaestion most of anyone, sharing his deepest thoughts and secrets I assume. I can picture them sitting up all night discussing dreams and plans for their future in between love making sessions; possibly calling each other by pet names such as Achilles and Petrocholus. SIGH.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
Alexander trusted Hephaestion most of anyone, sharing his deepest thoughts and secrets I assume. I can picture them sitting up all night discussing dreams and plans for their future in between love making sessions; possibly calling each other by pet names such as Achilles and Patroclus.

You could use that for the added after-balcony scene. It could be a great script. I liked when, in front of the tent, Hephaestion proudly says: "My Alexander." These two words and the way he said it were so meaningful in the scene. I guess I like to remember phrases a lot.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is along the lines of what I was thinking concerning the writing.

It has definitely been too long since I saw the movie; I don't remember when he said "My Alexander" but I can imagine it very well. You are right about different lines; like the one you mentioned, sometimes it doesn't take much to express a feeling and I too am drawn to things like that.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will know after seeing the clips.
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to choose a lover,too,I guess.
Well, now thinking about that I'd rather be ....Alexander and have all these lovers! It sounds good to me.
halfaery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don´t anyone of you think that some names on that list might have been put there for various reasons only to do harm for Alexander´s reputation? I just think modern time celebrities and other famous or powerful people and rumours about their so-called lovers... Rolling Eyes
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, never thought about that. hmm.. Question
moomoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Roxane's son was killed after Alexander's death.

What happened to the other 'child' 'children' that his mistress/es bore?
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moomoo - Oh my gosh, this is what my children call my mother! Hi Mom, is that you?

Sorry I can't be of much help with your question. If I run across it in my readings I'll try to remember to post it for you.

BTW, welcome aboard!

Pam
moomoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not your mother!!! Laughing
isela

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and me of course Exclamation
im just kidding i prefer hephaistion Wink
MACEDONIC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
......................such as Achilles and Petrocholus. SIGH.

Laughing Laughing Excuse me, but the way u spelled Patroclus, means in Greek "stone-ass"..... Laughing Hardly he was that, ...i suppose... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: