Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi everybody!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashish2484

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: hi everybody! Reply with quote

Very Happy alexander has been such an inspiring experience for me! it surely has generated in me a great interest for greek history or shall i say ancient european history? well how abt you guys?
lardvaark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ash!
Welcome. Yes, this place is largely populated by a whole bunch of people for whom the film was an inspiration. Lots of people have either become interested in the historical period as a result, or have had their interest furthered by it. I think you'll do quite well for yourself here!

L
mOoK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ya! welcum 2 da board Very Happy Enjoy!!! Wink ull luv it here trust me we're alexandrians!?! Cool
Adriv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! welcome and enjoy your stay. Grab your glass of wine and say..."To Alexander the Great".

I think I'm becoming the drunk of the group. pheeeww... Shocked
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashish, nice to see you. I'm still amazed and pleased that so many people [well, the select few Laughing ] are still coming to this site and saying how much they love Alexander. It is very good. Anyway, you will love this site, it is great fun. Smile
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hello Ashish! Welcome to the discussion board. I am glad to see that more are joining the Alexandrians. Enjoy.
vish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ashish! Very Happy
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ashish

I am glad you have joined us. I agree with you; the movie also inspired me to take a much deeper look into ancient history (especially ATG - what a surprise huh).

Adriv - I'll join you in that toast. To Alexander - may your dream shine on all men. Hm, where have I heard that before?
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading some private messages, I realised that I haven't introduced myself , something that I should have done.
Some of you think I am either Italian or American. Let me explain. I've been living in Italy for 10 years now and I've lived in the States for almost the same number of years. But I am Greek. I was born in Athens.
I love both countries (Italy and America) but my heart belongs to Greece (sorry..).Of course I have relatives in all the three countries. My house is in Italy ,now, but my home is Greece. Colin in an interview for "A home at the end of the world " ,said (something like this ): ' I may be here now-in the U.S-, or I may live somewhere else tomorrow but my home is where my heart is and that's Dublin for me'.
So even if I have spent many years abroad, Greece is the country I belong to. But I admit that when I am on holidays there I often have big arguments with my friends about Greece and Greeks in general.
Well, thinking about that what am I? A Greek-American-Italian woman?(sounds weird to me )
cindoo15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanna - yes, I thouht you were a native of Italy. What an interesting tour you have made. Where did you live in the US?
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Chicago. I have some really good memories from there.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Chicago, unless you count airport layovers.

I also meant to ask where in Greece are you from? I've been to Athens and Corfu - both about 20 years ago. I loved Greece but would really like to go back now since I am older and can appreciate it more since I know more history than I did back then.
allison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashish, welcome to the forum - hope you have fun Very Happy

I've not introduced myself on the board either (at least not in a single entry). I'm from Warrnambool originally (Victoria, Australia - country city, if that makes sense). Family heritage is Irish/English/Scotch and German (that we know of - possibly more besides). I've adored Alexander since I first read Mary Renault over 10 years ago - began a slight obsession - have a moderate collection of Alexander books that I've collected over the years - would be larger if I had a larger budget to work with, but have to pay those bills. Would love to visit Pella some day, and Missilonghi (am a Byron fanatic as well, I'm afraid - although I probably spelled Missilonghi wrong). Adore the fact that Al lead from the front, that he was such a human personage - with all of the passions and weaknesses involved with being human - but able to achieve so much. Loved the romance of Alexander (I always thought that it was interesting that the collation of oral myths about Alexander was called the Romance of Alexander).
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allison, I'm glad you like Lord Byron. I like him, too. He died in Messologhi (1824) .He was a great Philhellene (friend of the Greeks) during the Greek revolution war against the Turks. I've been to Messologhi and I saw his statue in the garden of the heroes, as they call it. They say that he was bisexual (like our Alexander!) .He had a very interesting *** life. He was always in love!
I like his poem "Maid of Athens, ere we part ". Here is the 1st verse:

Maid of Athens, ere we part,
Give, oh, give back my heart!
Or, since that has left my breast,
keep it now, and take the rest!
Hear my vow before I go,
Zoè mou sas agapo.

The last line is in Greek ,it means:'My life, I love you'.
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you put it joanna (like our Alexander!). Yes, he indeed is OUR Alexander.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: