Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazing!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cindoo15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you both very very much.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The US seems to gain different cultures as it grows - this is fantastic.

Hi Pam, and friends.

And don't forget, Britain has been invaded for thousands of years, by the Romans, Celts, Anglo Saxons, Vikings etc. So we have been a mongrel race for centuries and centuries and Brits have taken all this heritage across to the US and everywhere else they've invaded. We're all mixed race really. Smile
isela

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello mario
i think it must be amazing to live in the place where you live.
from apart from mexico i only know spain so pretty pace.
greece and the places near must be to interesting i imagine that places full with magic, history, beauty.
another thing yes me too when i watch alexander i wish to live i his times.
TheChosen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario : Glad you liked the movie.. but why does your every word start with capital letter? I don't usually bother people with grammar/language typos etc but i've never seen anyone write like that before.. so i am curious
alessandros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isela wrote:
another thing yes me too when i watch alexander i wish to live i his times.

i guess every 1 here wish to be born at that time!
Mario123456

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Just A Silly Habit I Have. I Know It's Stupid & I Don't Do It When I Have An Assignment To Do Or Anything But Every1 Has Their Traits. 1 Of My Favourite Quotes Is From Shakespeare's 'Othello' Quoted By Iago - 'I Am What I Am'. Sorry If It Bothers Any1 - Let Me Know & I Will Stop. Thanx, Maz.
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would like to live in Alexander's time.

Well, thinking about that I wish ......I WAS Alexander!!

How about you? Be honest!!
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing Joanna; that would be the ultimate!!

As for wishing I lived back then, well as a woman I don't think it would have been so great.
Mario123456

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i take it the woman's role was to just stay home & do all the work like in many of the other cultures? Unless you were of a high status of course? Thanx, Mario.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this book about the Greeks, it's pretty rudamenary and I assume it's for middle school age kids, but there is a section titled 'the role of women'. This is what it says: "Women in most states in ancient Greece led very sheltered lives and were not allowed to play an active role in society. They couldn't inherit or own property, or bring cases in the law courts. The could not even buy anything that cost over a certain amount of money. They were always under the control of a male relative: first their father, then their husband, brother or son." Oh boy, doesn't that sound like fun? It continues "In Athens, married women from wealthy families didn't often leave the house. They only went out for religious festivals and family celebrations, or to do small bits of personal shopping. When they did go out, a slave accompanied them. Sometimes they were allowed to visit their women friends" It also talks about the womens quarters in the home, called gynaeceum, where women spent most of their time "organizing the household, spinning, weaving, and entertaining their friends." Say, are we having fun yet? I think if I lived back then I would have wanted, if I had to be a woman, to be one of the hetairai. This is what it says about them, "Some girls, usually from the lower classes or foreigners, would become hetairai, or companions. They had to be pretty and clever, and were carefully trained to be skilled musicians and witty interesting speakers. They took wealthy lovers who could support them in comfort. Hetairai could join men's dinner parties." OK, so remember this is a book for kids and I suppose they don't go into the details about these 'hetairai' as I assume they were akin to high priced call girls in a way - but this had to be more fun than 'spinning and weaving'!!

If I remember correctly, it was one of these women that eventually became a wife of Ptolemy and who also supposedly started the idea of setting fire to Persepolis.
Mario123456

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting? What's the story behind the fire? Thanx, Mario.
longbow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone want to live back then??? I dont think we posses the courage what they had,can u imagine standing your ground with a spear when the enemy swarm at you Shocked I'd run away Razz Embarassed Laughing Women werent respected much in ancient Greece,they didnt even think women were worthy of sleeping with!pure madness!
Catherine X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would worry me about being a woman back then would be that you belonged to men and weren't considered a person. Its only recently that women have become independent. And if you had no 'male protector' you were nothing, open to being abused and ignored. Scary. [there isn't a scared emoticon, is there?]
longbow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman women were more respected than Greek women,The position of the Roman woman after marriage was very different from that of the Greeks. She presided over the whole household, educated her children, watched over and preserved the honor of the house, and shared the honors and respect shown to her husband. While few women were able to hold positions of power within the political or social system, many did run the household and private lives of their husbands with complete authority.But they still had to submit totally to there husband,they had to give him all there money,which the brides father would pay in the form of a dowry.And the husband could kill his wife,at anytime for any reason??? Homosexuallity wasnt as accepted in Rome as it was in Greece,they werent bothered about *** it was more a stature thing,if a roman male of the high class was having a relationship with a man of a lower social stature,that was fine,no problems,but the higher stature male HAD to be the male in the relationship.If the Roman people found out he was the submissive (female) partner,they would both be put to death.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks longbow that was very interesting Smile It just goes to show how different times were then, and obviously every period of history had different beliefs, practices etc.

So these people who moan about Alexander being gay or whatever, just have no idea about history do they? Mad

I think I'm in a stroppy mood today Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: