Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Normal version of movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucasm1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Normal version of movie Reply with quote

I just wondered if a normal version of the movie "Alexander the Great "exists? Why I say this is that I have rented two versions of the movie. The first one said it was the bonus cut. No movie just bonus material about the movie. The second one said directors cut. This one had the whole movie but narrated all the way through. Is there a version out there where the actors speak and that is it.[/b]
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the normal version, just like the movie but it was a piracy copy which was sent to me from south america.
alessandros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny......how can there be narration all the way......weird.....
Slobadog Melosivec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spooky.
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucasm1,

It doesn't sound like this was a rental from your friendly neighborhood Blockbuster Video store.

I think you got a least one bad/pirated copy. There is the "2-Disc Widescreen Special edition"of 'Alexander' (not to be confused with the Richard Burton film called 'Alexander the Great'), which is the theatrical cut. This DVD has one disc with part 1 of the film and another disc that has part 2 of the film and the bonus material.

The Director's Cut comes in 2 versions. A Full screen version with no extras, just one disc and a 2 disc Widescreen set with the film all on one disc and the extras on the other (the extras are the same as what comes with the theatrical version).

Did the bonus material disc come with any of the film, at all? Because if you rented a "legitimate" copy of the theatrical version, you should have gotten at least part of the film on the bonus disc. If not, someone must have tampered with the film and it got out there in the rental market.

On the Director's Cut when you say it was "narrated", did you mean the commentary that Oliver Stone did? That you can turn off, if you want to and just hear the actors speaking. Did you have a place on the menu that allowed you to turn the commentary on and off? Otherwise, what did it sound like? There is no "narration" on any legal copy of the film, only the commentary.

Oh, I just dawned on me, now I think I know what you mean. Are you are talking about the narration done by Anthony Hopkins, in parts of the film? Is that what you mean by "narration"? If it is, you have that in both versions of the film. Anthony Hopkins played the older Ptolemy (as opposed to Elliot Cowen, who played the younger Ptolemy) who is telling the story. Sorry to say, it's part of the film, so there is nothing that can be done about it. Many of us thought it was long as well. And he did go on and on, it seemed, at times. But it was a necessary evil for Stone to be able to tell parts of Alexander the Great's story, in the time constraints that he had (within 3 hours). The narration was trimmed down in the Director's Cut, there was more of it in the Theatrical Cut, that you were not able to see. Hopkins narration did not speak over the other actors that were speaking. So no one really missed any of the important dialog, anyway.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Dara Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: