Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When and Why
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Pam's Story Reply with quote

Well, Pam, you have posted this topic on the forum but I think we haven't heard your story yet on when and why you became interested in Alexander the Great. Surprised Let's hear it (or read it)! I apologise if you've posted it already and I haven't noticed. Smile
Catherine X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam, thanks very much for your hug, you are a kind person, which is a quality much overlooked in life. Its just that when I look at other people and see that they have children and a fulfilling career, it disappoints me because I will never have those. But at least I have a happy and loving marriage, which I never thought I would have, so that is something I have achieved in life. Smile
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Catherine! Whenever I'm feeling down about things happening in my life (you know, the 'ol "Why me?" feelings) I always kick myself in the butt so to speak and think about what I DO have that I am very very lucky for. As you said, you are very lucky to have found Carlos and feel a loving marriage. That is a hard thing to accomplish in itself; I know, I've been married 22 years now!

My gosh, things could always be so much worse (God forbid, I don't think you have a terminal illness or anything like that going on), horrible things happen in peoples lives and I must always count myself as a fortunate person. I know the saying about having your health is an old one but, really, I cannot stress enough (just ask Carlos - he used to work in the hospital as you have said) just how awful life can be for some people. Or try this, what if you lived somewhere that as a woman you had no rights and Carlos could just stone you to death because you hit him in the butt with your plastic sword? Laughing

So for me, when I think things have taken a really bad turn I try to think about what is good, what I have in my life that I am thankful for; then decide on things I can do that will help me resolve any negativity and maybe change the predicament I have gotten into. My, I do sound a bit lofty here; sometimes though, I stick my head in the sand! But, the problem then will always return and I end up dealing with it anyway.

And thank you for what you said about me. It really made me feel good - I appreciate that very much.
kharyzz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly... because of the Stone's movie
alessandros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since young, i have a interest in ancient history especially ***, Egypt and Greece. honestly, i dont know where i know about alexander the great but i remanbered a few years back, it was mention in history textbook about the campaign in India. it was the movie that makes me wanna read more on the great......
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL DONE OLIVER !
alessandros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acturely, when i first watch the movie i dont really get what OS is trying to say/tell............to me, it was rather confusing.....
carabest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: when and why Reply with quote

My first encounter with Alexander was during a class on Ancient Greece and Rome in college. My misguided professor (who is still a friend despite his views) taught that Alexander was an alcoholic, sociopath, and a poor leader. Out of college I read the Mary Renault books before I went to Europe (a study abroad thing about Medici spending on the arts) and fell in love. While in Europe, I got an opportunity to go to the Vergina dig and catalog coins. Some of them were of Alexander, most were of Phillip's time. One of the hundreds of books that I read was Robin Lane Fox's, which I loved. Since then I have read almost everything I can find about Alexander. I had my doubts about Colin playing Alexander but he had just the right amount of arrogance mixed with hope, desire, and leadership for the role. The other members of the cast (including RLF on horseback!) were stupendous! Exclamation
philalexandros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interesting topic. Thought I'd add my stroy in. What got me interested in Alexander....

About last year my mother had the 3 books Manfredi wrote on Alexander after she came back from a trip to the library,I was interested to know what sort of books they were and what they were about,because i enjoy history, Rome,Greece and Classics and plenty more. Then she began explaining and introducing me to the Greatest man for eternity. (She already knew much more about him before thoose books)I was so fascinated by her words,that after she had read Manfredi's books i knew i should read them. Myself being Macedonian i had great pride in reading the accomplishments and reading of such a truely great person,Alexander has motivated me and inspires me to make the most of my time and who i am, he plays a big part and will always shape a part of me. After Manfredi's books (which i must say first got me interested in Alexander along with my mothers positive words) i was so fascinated and intrigued that i became a passionate devoted Alexandrian. I am just so glad to know what i know about him,and if i at least don't achieve nothing in my life i am just glad to have knowledge and love someone who achieved the impossible. Then when i heard about the Alexander film i went to see it and loved it. Now i am still reading anything about history and Alexander there is around and that i can get my hands on.
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are two kind of people, those who like Alexander the Great and those who dislike Alexander the Great. I don't think there is nothing in the middle.
Perhaps, your professor is one of those who dislike Alexander Sad
carabest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: when and why Reply with quote

No ... he didn't like alcoholics or *** (his labels, not mine!).
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:
They are two kind of people, those who like Alexander the Great and those who dislike Alexander the Great. I don't think there is nothing in the middle.

I think you're absolutely right Adriv - Alexander is a very passionate subject either way you look at it.

Carabest and philalexandros - thanks for your stories, I enjoyed reading them. And, Carabest, I am glad you found the truth after all! Very Happy Because, you know, those who admire Alexander have it correctly - the other group is unfortunately misguided.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
Adriv wrote:

I think you're absolutely right Adriv - Alexander is a very passionate subject either way you look at it.

Carabest and philalexandros - thanks for your stories, I enjoyed reading them. And, Carabest, I am glad you found the truth after all! Very Happy Because, you know, those who admire Alexander have it correctly - the other group is unfortunately misguided.

Laughing Laughing I love this self-righteousness we have.
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros_19 wrote:
cindoo15 wrote:
Adriv wrote:

Laughing Laughing I love this self-righteousness we have.

Laughing Laughing Absolutely!That,s because we,re always right!
Cynisca

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,
AmitraNox wrote:
This may seem a little strange...but i've been interested in Alexander the Great since i was 4-5 years old...and all these came after some dreams i had...and since then i've been reading and studying everything i can find about him... Smile

I had an interest in Alexander from quite young too, I also adored the stories of ancient Greece, the heroes, Gods and Goddesses and Hercules..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: