Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of people are attracted to Alexander
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apelles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: What kind of people are attracted to Alexander Reply with quote

Reading through the threads it occurred to me that Alexander attracts a certain kind of person.Here are some thoughts.
1 Individualists. We don,t follow the herd but make up our own minds.How many of us have defended a movie everyone else said they hated, whether they had seen it or not ,or gone to see it one more time even though we had to go alone?
2 Creative A lot of us seem to be creative types with vivid imaginations.I think a lot of you write stories.I paint and do a bit of writing when I get time.I think that Alexander,s story has captured our imaginations in some way.
3 Enquiring minds We,re prepared to go and find out about new ideas.We long to go to unfamiliar places and some of us will be inspired to plan it and actually do it.We tend to be very enthusiastic about things which interest us and passionate about things we feel strongly about.
4Romantics What drew us to the movie and the story?Many things probably but for me it was the romantic in Alexander,s character.I,ve said this in another post but I think that Alexander and Hephaistion are one of the great love stories of history.In fact I think that his whole life appeals to the romantic.This doesn,t mean that we reject the realities but that we respond to the emotional side of his nature.

Any more suggestions about the type of people attracted to Alexander ?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Apelles

I haven't any more suggestions because I think you have summed up Alexander fans perfectly. Cool

I think that is why the film was not successful: people through the centuries have always imagined Alexander as an emotionless conqueror fighting battle after battle, whereas this film shows another side to him. So maybe the marketing of the film was wrong? I don't know, just a thought. Confused
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of people are attracted to Alexander Reply with quote

apelles wrote:

4Romantics What drew us to the movie and the story?Many things probably but for me it was the romantic in Alexander,s character.I,ve said this in another post but I think that Alexander and Hephaistion are one of the great love stories of history.In fact I think that his whole life appeals to the romantic.This doesn,t mean that we reject the realities but that we respond to the emotional side of his nature.

I think that even beyond the romantic nature of Alexander and Hephaestions relationship that Alexander had , what I would term, romantic ideals. By this I mean such things as his desire for people of the world of different backgrounds and cultures to bond together and his desire to search to find the end of the world; these things I find very appealing to my nature.
Quote:

Any more suggestions about the type of people attracted to Alexander ?

I think you're list was great. I would have to think a while to see if I come up with anything else to add to it.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of people are attracted to Alexander Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
I think that even beyond the romantic nature of Alexander and Hephaestions relationship that Alexander had , what I would term, romantic ideals. By this I mean such things as his desire for people of the world of different backgrounds and cultures to bond together and his desire to search to find the end of the world; these things I find very appealing to my nature.

Also to add to Alexanders romantic side is his desire to surpass Achilles. The whole Iliad hero thing I would also call 'romantic ideals'. He also appears at many points to act in a chivalrous way - this is romantic as well.
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Hi Apelles

I haven't any more suggestions because I think you have summed up Alexander fans perfectly. Cool

I think that is why the film was not successful: people through the centuries have always imagined Alexander as an emotionless conqueror fighting battle after battle, whereas this film shows another side to him. So maybe the marketing of the film was wrong? I don't know, just a thought. Confused

Hello Catherine,thanks for the comments.I think it,s true that there may have been an expectation for the emphasis to have been on Alexander,s military career,rather than his inner battles and many people were disappointed.
My husband has requested that we add another characteristic to the list----absent minded and easily distracted because I put something in the oven and then got absorbed in posting the list and forgot all about it until all hell broke loose when the smoke alarm went off!! Embarassed Are you one of the story writers?Do you ever put them on a fic site ?Sorry if Imissed other posts about this but I,d love to see what you,ve written.
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of people are attracted to Alexander Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
cindoo15 wrote:

Also to add to Alexanders romantic side is his desire to surpass Achilles. The whole Iliad hero thing I would also call 'romantic ideals'. He also appears at many points to act in a chivalrous way - this is romantic as well.

Hi Pam,good to talk to you and thanks for having a think and coming up with what I was groping towards---that romance has a much wider meaning than just personal relationships.I found a bit in RLF,s summing up at the end of his biog where he says"in Alexander it is tempting to see the romantic,s complex nature for the first time in Greek history"and then goes on to explain his reasons for thinking this.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Oxford to a small exhibition of Alexander,s coinage and it,s true what RLF points out that the image he and his successors deliberately cultivated and promoted was a romantic one so I think we,re only the latest in a long line of admirers to be attracted in this way.Didn,t see the prof. on my visit although kept my eye out just in case.
By the way was that you over on *** defending the movie?Did they really all hate it?Off now to look at "The making of Alexander" and the film guide which the mighty Amazon delivered today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Catherine X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:

My husband has requested that we add another characteristic to the list----absent minded and easily distracted because I put something in the oven and then got absorbed in posting the list and forgot all about it until all hell broke loose when the smoke alarm went off!! Embarassed Are you one of the story writers?Do you ever put them on a fic site ?Sorry if Imissed other posts about this but I,d love to see what you,ve written.

Yes, I think my husband would add 'absent minded' too! He got cross [very rare for him] the other day when I forgot the roast Sunday lunch was in the oven. So now I take the timer upstairs while I type on the computer to keep me aware when things are ready to eat.

Well, I am 'a writer', but have not really written a lot on this board. I seem to have written most things on the BBC Movies board as I've met loads of other 'writers' on there. We start off a story, then someone else joins in, then someone else etc. It is great fun and we usually base the stories on people on the message board e.g. one man was made into a Sherlock Holmes type character, another a vampire, a woman into a Jane Austen type heroine. I've got the stories on my computer hard drive at home but they are not on a website anywhere for you to see. Sorry. Sad
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry,just interested and thought I,d ask on the offchance.I,m also glad I,m not the only one losing it and going round in cloud- cuckoo land.Good idea about the timer,I,ll try it. Razz
isela

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: hello apelles Reply with quote

i think it is true what you said about the kind of people interested in alexander. Razz
let me start with they must be interested in historic characters. the mayority of the people prefer to go for the fockers hug Sad
another point if you like history u must like to read Exclamation
if you like to read the u like to spend time with yourself or maybe doing some reflections about everything from the rain the clouds the flowers to your breakfast.
if you like to be alone thats me so i think you are in the independient type.
and of course i hate Evil or Very Mad when people says alexander was a bad movie and of course i allways give my points of view in its favor.
romantic of course the scene in the balcony my favorite says everything.
2 times i went to the theater alone and in 1 ocassion the place was totally alone and the had to project the movie only for me Embarassed
but alexander deserve everything
rothalion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empathic people.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of people are attracted to Alexander Reply with quote

apelles wrote:

By the way was that you over on *** defending the movie?Did they really all hate it?

Yes, that probably was me. Was it the thread about quotes relating to Alexander? If so, yes it was me. I stole a few from Alexandros-20's TOP 40 LIST from the film to post over there.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isela - yes I think I agree with all you said except, I just don't know what a 'fockers hug' is Confused

Catherine and all of the rest of you up in the clouds - just look a little to your left, yes there behind that big puffy cloud, there I am!
isela

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

answer to the fockers
its a movie that was in the same time as alexander, but it was a comedy
isela

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fockers the family of my husband thats the entire title with barbara steisen and the boy who was in crazy about mary
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isela wrote:
the fockers the family of my husband thats the entire title with barbara steisen and the boy who was in crazy about mary

I think in the UK and USA its called 'Meet the Fockers'.

I enjoyed that film, I liked the fact that the Fockers got their own back on Robert de Niro's family for treating Gaylord so badly in the first film. Revenge....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: