Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joanna Defends 'Alexander' in 'Best movie' magazine.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Joanna Defends 'Alexander' in 'Best movie' magazine. Reply with quote

I'm so proud of myself.

When all these negative reviews (by the American critics) came out in November, they drove me crazy! I was so pissed off! Of course I hadn't seen the film yet ( a small detail!) but I've always trusted my intuition.And I was right again. I fell in love with this movie. But I have to admit that I've always been a fan of Stone and I just knew that , and this time he wouldn't disappointed me. I was not wrong , indeed!

Then I did wait patiently for its release here in Italy(otherwise they would think I was nuts!) and after seeing it......that's it- I HAD to DEFEND it!!!! I had to find a way to do it.

So, there is that monthly magazine called 'Best Movie'. I always read it because there is a lot of info about films and cinema in general.

One day I decided to write a letter to them telling them my opinion about the film and how upset I was after reading all these unjust reviews. Sad
I also pointed out that there are other people like me who like it and think it's interesting and worth seeing.

To tell you the truth I didn't expect an answer. But they DID write to me! First, they thanked me for my letter (very polite) and then they said that they would publish it in April's issue. You can't imagine my joy! I was so happy.

Now ,I have the magazine in my hands and here it is ...my own letter published! Very Happy They put it in a big square that really stands out and they even put a photo of Oliver and Colin.
Oh, yes. I'm so proud of myself! At least I did something to defend my favourite movie, to defend ...my 'Alexander'.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Magazine Reply with quote

Joanna,

You truly stood up for all of us! Very Happy It'd be great if you could scan that page of the magazine for all of us to see it.
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m very proud too Joanna. Thanks for sticking up for Alexander. Very Happy

Maybe one day you can scan that article and post it for us. Idea
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL DONE JOANNA! I'm really proud of you to do that. Very Happy Very Happy I hope Oliver Stone read the magazine too.

It makes me so cross that people criticise Alexander so viciously, they need to grow up and accept that they won't always like every film Mad

I have just sent Oliver a letter asking if I could do my project on him because I was inspired to study him as a director by Alexander. So I hope he gets it Wink
cindoo15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Joanna!! I was going to suggest you scan it and post it but seems that I'm not the first to have that idea.
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeeee Joanna, that was a great move! Very Happy
JareCo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out of lurkdom to tell joanna....

Great job!

Thanks for standing up for Alexander.
tv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Thank you for doing this. I always wanted to write my own defense of the movie, but my writing skill is limited. Could you, by any chance, post your letter here for every one to read it?
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your good words. That was the least I could do.

I scanned it and here it is :

Sorry, it's in Italian. Here is the translation :

" Long live ALEXANDER.

Dear Best Movie ,

I'm writing to say that I liked Alexander very much. This film may have been debated a lot , but one thing is certain it is not bad. Therefore, I was shocked to hear that some renowned critics had considered it to be the worst film of the year : but have they seen the same film I have?
In my opinion, Alexander deserved an Oscar nomination for the best film category (for me it was worth getting the Oscar). Of course, it'is not completely perfect, this is normal for a film that lasts 3 hours ; but it is genuine and offers lots of emotions. Vangelis' soundtrack is really moving and suitable for the film. For me, there is a flaw : the dubbing. It is not nice to say that , I understand the dubblers do their job , but I imagine it is even better in the original language. I admire Stone and he did't disappoint me once again. Why isn't his talent recognised much in Hollywood? Is there, maybe ,a conspiracy against him? It's not the first time I hear that. I can't find another reason for the hostility the movie received. Thank you very much. Ioanna "

That's it. To tell you the truth they have changed some things but I guess that's what they always do. My letter was even a little longer. But it's Ok. I'm satisfied the way it is. The main idea is there.

VIVA ALEXANDER!
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brava Joanna! Very Happy Anche a me Alexander e piaciuto moltissimo e penso che Alexander sia il meglior film. Meritava l'Oscar, sicuro. Sad
Ely

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Joanna that's great! Like the others already said, Thank you for doing this, I'll surely grab my own copy of the magazine when it comes out hehe.
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliantly put indeed Smile
Aristophanes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*thumbsup* Cool
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all Laughing .I am very happy,indeed. It was the first time I wrote a letter to a magazine and I feel so excited about it. First because they published it and second because the motivation was 'Alexander'. What a success!
apelles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Joanna! You spoke up for us all and Alexander as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: