Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Edited Version of the DVD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moomoo

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: The Edited Version of the DVD Reply with quote

For those of you who loved the Alexander/Hephaistion scenes, I suggest you try and buy the theatrical version. Looks like Stone has masacred his own movie. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
STONE CUTS GAY REFERENCES FOR ALEXANDER DVD
~ from ContactMusic.com

Director OLIVER STONE has cut the gay references from his ALEXANDER movie for the DVD version of the 2004 flop.

Stone claimed his Macedonian epic was unpopular with American audiences because of the subtle homosexual content.

He said, "They didn't even read the reviews in the South because the media was using the words: 'Alex is Gay'. As a result you can bet that they thought, 'We're not going to see a film about a military leader that has got something wrong with him.'"

In the DVD version, COLIN FARRELL's ALEXANDER THE GREAT character's relationship with HEPHAISTION - played by JARED LETO - will be portrayed as simply a friendship.

However fans of ROSARIO DAWSON will be pleased to know more angles of her character ROXANE's naked exposure will be included in the DVD.
Ysoria

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the DVD version i have is the same as the movies though. Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That´s unfair. Oliver Stone just cut those scenes just to please stupid homophopic people?...... I can´t believe he did that. Mad
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shakes head*
Of all movies I've seen that were supposed to have gay content, Alexander probably has the least. Come on! THERE'S NOTHING IN THAT MOVIE! You see more on daily tv!!
Adriv

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreed Goldsnail. I´m very dissapointed. I´m sure most of us who really care about the movie won´t buy the DVD now because of it. Sad
Alexiel

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear,i'm definetely sh***ing in my pants now!!!
please,please,do you know if the italian dvd version of the dvd will have scenes cut out or be the theatrical version???
lots of sites are saying that all dvd versions will have the movie cut,so if anynbody knows anything,just say it ***
sorry for the grammatical errors but i'm truly shocked at the moment
Ysoria

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like the version totally uncut. i mean thats hell crappy he wishes to cut more?! well does that mean they totally took out bagoas scene totally since he cannot be portrayed as bisexual?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldsnail wrote:
*shakes head*
Of all movies I've seen that were supposed to have gay content, Alexander probably has the least. Come on! THERE'S NOTHING IN THAT MOVIE! You see more on daily tv!!

Exactly. I really cannot understand the homophobia over this movie Confused
Ysoria

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the question was not the amount of homo-content, it was that the average guy was outraged by the idea that alexander (the great) can possibly be a (FAG) - thats how the average guy reads it and well....

a male friend of mine after watching the show said,

i think in order to succeed in life one must be gay....gee.....we're all screwed cos we can't bring ourselves to like other men

now wont the average boy felt "outraged"? LOL.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ysoria wrote:
i think the question was not the amount of homo-content, it was that the average guy was outraged by the idea that alexander (the great) can possibly be a (FAG)

In that case, I would say to the average guy: GET OVER IT, YOU NEANDERTHAL, THE WORLD WON'T COME TO AN END! Mad

Another reason I think the film did not attract men was it did not have endless battle scenes. My male film teacher said 'considering Alexander was the greatest general ever, to only put 2 battle scenes in was a bit stupid.'
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexiel,

I wouldn't worry about your version of the DVD. EVERYONE is going to get the theatrical version (yes, even the United States and UK). But there are some places are also going get the Director's Cut of the DVD. If people don't want that version they don't have to buy it. But the theatrical version will be available to all. They both will be sold separately. You may not even see the DC where you are in Italy.

So I wouldn't worry. Here is the latest news about the Region 1 DVD (that the US) from The Digital Bits (I think I will put this information in the DVD thread, as well):

The big news today is that Warner has finally announced the DVD release of two versions of Oliver Stone's Alexander to street on 8/2. The first will be a 2-disc Alexander: Special Edition (SRP $29.95), featuring the 175-minute theatrical version of the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include audio commentary with director Oliver Stone and historian Robin Lane Fox, the Resurrecting Alexander, Perfect is the Enemy of God and The Death of Alexander documentaries, and a featurette on the film's soundtrack, Vangelis Scores Alexander. Also available on 8/2 will be a 2-disc Alexander: Director's Cut (SRP also $29.95), featuring a 167-minute version of the film ("newly inspired, faster-paced and more action-packed" according to the cover), also in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 and, as far as we can tell, the same extras as the theatrical cut. So yes, the director's cut is actually SHORTER than the theatrical cut. Strange bird that Oliver Stone. A full frame version of the director's cut will also be available.

Dara Smile
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add...we are getting the whole 175 minutes version in the US, intact (which means no cut scenes), I don't see why everyone else would not. I never heard Oliver Stone say he was going to release the theatrical version with any cuts. He only said he would make his Director's Cut with different scenes and they would be separate DVD's. To my knowledge, that is just what he has done.

So I think eveyone will have at least a little something to be happy about.

Dara Smile
Ysoria

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they would decided to add more previously cut footage i would have bought it. but since he decided to get rid of even more scenes theres really little left desired. aghh!
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say that Dawson's Creek was a lot gayer than Alexander *still shaking head* Very Happy
Ysoria

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it doesnt feature a prominent warrior does it? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: