Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Edited Version of the DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the american people who love alexander will end up buying the dvd internationally than from the same US. I probably would and actually thinking about it. Idea
Alexiel

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,as I told in another topic,there's something weird over here...
So,Warner said that the theatrical/unct version is 175 min long,while the directors cut is 168 long (kinda of 8 7 minutes shorter than the uncut one)...
so WHY my dvd -UNCUT,I checked it out,it's the theatrical version- has "168 min long" written on the custody???
????????????????????????????
mystery! Very Happy
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexiel,

The 168 minute theatrical version you have is still equilvalent to the 175 minute version that the US (Region 1) has. I read somewhere that the running time on a DVD is measured differently in Europe than in the United States, thats why the time on your version comes out to be a bit less. But it is still the same complete version.

Now the new DC version will be 168 minutes verses 175 minutes for the theatrical version.

I will buy both versions when they come out in the US. I don't think the theatrical version is any different for the European DVD than the US one. The only difference is the extras, and the US and part of Europe will get the Director's Cut, as well. Thats why I don't think I would buy it internationally (I did consider it though). I don't think it makes a big difference, unless you want the Special Editions or different extras. The DVD has been treated a bit more special around the world (like the design and packaging and Special Edtions with collectors items), so some of them might be worth getting. But, I guess I will stick with Region 1.

Even though I would like to see more added to the DVD than taken out, I think the new scenes in the DC might be interesting. It's new footage, so that is what I want to see. I prefer the Theatrical version, but I am a bit too curious about the DC not to buy it, more running time or less, it doesn't matter to me. I am sure it will be fascinating to watch.

Dara Smile
Alexiel

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,thanks Dara,this explains everything I guess Rolling Eyes
cristal clear at Warner lol!!!
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that on the Italian DVD there are the scenes of Alexander and Bagoas Rolling Eyes and also Alexander and Hephaestion kissing Question I wonder if is true. Question
frantic

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:
I heard that on the Italian DVD there are the scenes of Alexander and Bagoas Rolling Eyes and also Alexander and Hephaestion kissing Question I wonder if is true. Question

I was a little disappointed they cut the "love" scene (Alexander motions for Bagoas to join him in bed and so he does. You only see their profiles in the flickering light as they kiss and whirl around, as if caught in an intimate snake's dance. Only a few seconds of material). If we are to believe these historians' Bagoas was part of Alexander's life (but how big or small part is up for debate, I guess). I wonder if there are any Italian's here who can verify this information/rumor about the DVD and the missing love scene? I'd like to know. But it's true that the love scene didn't add anything to the story itself, other than some romance, so in the big picture it matters not at all.

As far as kissing between Alexander and Hephaestion, it's not there, but other scenes were cut. Perhaps there will be an extended DVD with deleted scenes, someday? The love was understood by the many gestures, looks, and it would take a blind man to miss it. They could have elaborated on it further and thrown in a kiss somewhere, as kisses are the most intimate sign of affection between lovers, in my opinion. Of course, with history so much is lost in translation but we all know how important they were to each other.

However, too much romance in films is often boring and overambitious and really not that necessary (unless of course it's a romantic drama/comedy Laughing ). I guess film makers have to walk a fine line especially when they take on an epic of this magnitude.

I'm not really disappointed with the way it is right now and I'm just grateful they kept Bagoas' dance scene. Smile

frantic (sorry for my poor English)
Alexiel

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:

HA!!! Laughing
mere rumours...
but I'll verify soon... Wink
GLENDALEFALCON

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to brust everyone's bubble here, but there NEVER was a kissing
scene filmed between Alexander and Hephaestion!!!! I'm sick of hearing
people talk about something that wasn't even IN THE SCRIPT!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
frantic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLENDALEFALCON wrote:
I'm sorry to brust everyone's bubble here, but there NEVER was a kissing
scene filmed between Alexander and Hephaestion!!!! I'm sick of hearing
people talk about something that wasn't even IN THE SCRIPT!!!

Yes, I know. Like I said, it was never there and kissing was never even planned.

Your anger is misplaced though. Why would it upset you that some people talk about something that wasn't there? If you read Adriv's post you notice it starts with "I heard..." and unless you had something to do with the making of the film, the script etc (which I highly doubt) I don't see why rumors would upset you. Question Better to just bite back the upset and focus on the important stuff.

frantic
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander was ***. If Oliver Stone falls back on this one in the face of pure ignorance then, for me, it will be a crime.
kharyzz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czech DVD Version:
8 minutes shorter movie, no bonus material Twisted Evil
Adriv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. Sorry Sad
alessandros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's nothing much for region 3 dvd, just the usual things.....uncut theatrical version, however its rated M-18 in my country(which means people under 18 could not buy it!) unfortunately, i fall under the M-18 catogory...~~

there's no plan of releasing the directer's cut version yet............*sign*
Susa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s some info on the marketing blitz planned for the UK DVD release of the Alexander Director's Cut gleaned from video trade mag Home Entertainment Week, which may be of interest to UK people. No mention of the theatrical version which is being released at the same time.
Original article is here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/librarian-of-alexandria/VHEmag.jpg --- not very clear, so I’ve edited it below

Quote:
Stone Cuts It Fine
Oliver Stone’s sweeping epic Alexander may not have quite reached blockbuster status on its theatrical release but is sure to be top of the tree on its retail and rental debut thanks to Warner’s all encompassing marketing campaign.

Amanda Priestley, new release product manager, Warner Home Video, reveals all about the title and the high profile marketing campaign set to surround it: “As an action-adventure film with a UK box office of £3 million Alexander will be targeted predominantly at men aged 24-44 with a broader audience of all adults aged 16-54.

“The main focus will be on the USP of the new Director’s Cut edition offering a friendlier price point as a single disc for customers. It is this cut that will arouse the interest of those who did not see the film at cinemas and counter the negative word of mouth generated by debuting in the more conservative US, who were not as open minded about certain aspects of the film as European and International audiences.

“This is demonstrated by the fact that the film took more than 70 percent of its entire box office outside of the US reflecting the trend for historical action adventures like Troy, The Last Samurai and Master and Commander enjoying greater success with international audience.

“Alexander Director’s Cut re-imagines and re-shapes the original theatrical film with virtually hundreds of edits and re-configurations of sequences, in exactly the kind of vigorous creative action that stands as a trademark of Oliver Stone,” she enthuses.

Priestley is keen to talk about the big budget marketing push in place for the title: “Warner will be treating the release as an event title, with a major television advertising campaign running for two weeks, starting on July 27. Ads will run on ITV, Channel 4 and Five, as well as digital channels….”We will be employing a press schedule that hooks into the fact that it’s a broad audience who will be buying this. Print ads will be placed across a range of high impact titles, from national newspapers… to film and DVD magazines and men and women’s lifestyle publications including Heat.”

A massive PR campaign is also in place which includes press screenings of the Director’s Cut, goody bags containing Alexander merchandise giveaways across a broad range of media including DVD and film magazines, entertainment listings, gaming magazines, gay lifestyle titles, online and on key national and London radio shows.

Interviews with all cast members and Oliver Stone have been placed with DVD and film magazines alongside key websites, while film historian Robin Lane Fox, who appears on one of the audio commentaries, will also be giving interviews on radio talk shows. Competitions will see Warner link with Pioneer for *** TV and DVD recorder packages in men’s lifestyle titles Nuts, FHM, and Maxim, as well as the Daily Mirror and the News of the World. Competitions to win a holiday following in the footsteps of Alexander (Egypt, India, Greece) have been placed in The Sun and Daily Express and on T4 and MTV. Retailers and rentailers will be able to support the title instore with POS which includes FSDUs and standees.”
TheChosen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That UK version sounds exciting... too bad about the czech version , i was thinking to buy it here (i live there right now).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: