Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not The Alexander we know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iskanderos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Not The Alexander we know Reply with quote

I enjoyed the movie as a whole. But Stone Missed the Spot and didnt give us a masrterpiece that he should have.

He put too much time into his sexuality. Getting across the famous phrases. Too much on olympias and what on earth did Alexander the Great have to do with rolling about on a bed roaring like a lion?

This movie showed nothing of his greatness his confidence and his supreme beliefe he was beeter even than the gods.

From the silly scene where he fumbled from his horse to retrieve his sword. Crying after Gaugamela where in realitry by that time he was indeed a seasones warrior and killer.

Blubbering to his mother I doubt and his father been a down and out drunk.

Colin Farrel and the actors did as good as they could with what they had and if Stone claims to be a fan of Alexander I hope that the DVD is more about a movie about Alexander The Great and not Alexander THe Little bit shaky. Question

People bemoan about sex scenes etc been edited, But who Alexander slept with had nothing to do with nor what made him great.

Stone should have put more effort into what we all know made Alexander The Great. Question

Regards

iskanderos Laughing
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the things you list as failures made the movie great for me. Wink The weaknesses. Yes, Alexander was great. But he was human. And why not have him cry after the battle? Why not show his difficult relationships with his parents? I'm glad Stone didn't make him a super-hero. He made him human and real and easier to grasp.
But he still won the battles, he still walked to India and back, that's all in there, achievements and all.
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie is a bold attempt to put Alexander up where he belongs in the pantheon of History. Certainly it has flaws but generally it made some key statements about The Great that echo down the centuries.
Much is made in the media and elsewhere about how the movie distorted Alexander's emotional life and personality.I think,to a degree, it pulled its punches on his *** by not expressing them sufficiently frankly and in line with the historical data. Stone opted for a mostly platonic expression of Alexander's relationship with his chief co-thinker and lover Hephaestion. On the other hand, it displayed his relationship with Roxane as mostly sexual. In both cases it got it wrong and the total relationships should both have been expressed.But this is a movie that had a lot of ground to cover and like everything else on the face of the planet restricted by time and money. But my two main criticisms of the movie are these 1. It was not in Ancient Greek and Persian dialogue with subtitles. 2. Other Companions of Alexander did not get even basic coverage not least his Vizier, Perdikkas, who I believe was his true successor as his conduct after The Great's death amply demonstrates: he defended the kingly descent through Alexander's bloodline ie Roxane and his son. He also defended the unity of Alexander's Greek-Persian Empire for the tasks that lay ahead in fulfilling Alexander's global plans.
iskanderos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail Alexander Crying After Gaugamela.

With all due respect, I feel by the time of Gaugamela. Alexander was a seasoned campaigner. Issos. Granicus,Tyre,Thebes and the Balkhan campaigns. You are right saying it was good to show emotion but wrong by the time of Gaugamela. If by Gaugamela he was blubbering like that then he was not as cold hearted as you really need to be to achieve what he did.

Ok the Romance and his mother. All this stuff was put into a movie of only 3 hours. None of that has anything to do with his achievements or what made the Romans call him great. All in all no way could 3 hours tell our mans story when it took 9 hours to tell The Lord of The Rings.

I dont know if the paying lay viewer would watch ( hours about a guy who has a selective audience.Tolkien already had the key base to stir up the frenzy for the Rings and the movie was really a masterpiece.

We all know our guy has many dimensions and a catalogue of action and events that no way could 3 hours do. But the image I got was an unsure guy with a tendency to be bullied by his mother. I personally feel his mothers influence was minimal. If she was that important I am sure he would have had her with him.

Regards

Kenny
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right in stressing that the movie had only 3 hours to portray the whole life of someone like Alexander - an impossible task. So a lot of the stuff in the movie is condensed and seemed symbolic to me.
Since Gaugamela is the only of the two battles where Alexander is left mostly unharmed, it is the only battle he could show emotions after. There wasn't enough time in the movie to show a third battle.

You complain that the romance aspects didn't make him great. That's true. Note how Stone called his movie simply "Alexander" with no reference to Greatness at all. He didn't want to make a movie about the hero but a movie about the man, and for me he succeeded in that. But of course everyone expecing a hero-type movie had to be disappointed. I guess it's just a matter of taste - personally I've seen enough action heros and they begin to bore me, that's why I liked Stone's Alexander.

I do think Alexander's parents had a huge influence on his life. He wanted to prove himself to his father and he wanted to get away from his mother (or why else has he never invited her to Persia?). I think that's a point that has been glossed over for a long time in history when people saw him as if indeed he was a deity. Well, to me he wasn't, sorry. Smile "Just" a very interesting - likely the most interesting - man of ancient times, who definitely had to have some motives for his actions other than his mother insisting on him being the son of a god.
iskanderos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: The WOrld is full of Alexanders but only one was great Reply with quote

Hail

I respect your post and indeed the story Alexander The man.

But with all due respect we get movie upon movie about the man wehoever the man is. But lets be honest indeed Alexander was a man but a very extraordinary man and I think for Stone to miss the opportunity to have this money he wasted the chance to show the world what we already know about Alexander.

We know he was great and I believe the public viewers deserved to be shown what made him so great. It Is basically Alexander The Great that sparks the interest then the learning about the man starts from that point.

All this movie did was tell the story about a man very much like other men.people are interested in heroes and legend and as Stone said in the trailer. The Greatest Legend was real but in no way did he show that.

And we all know the stories Gladiator.Lord of The Rings made up Stories Alexanders Story packed more action and emotion than them both yet showed hardly any.

Indeed youir right Stone Showed ALexander the man. THe Viewers deserved Alexander the Great . By the name wich the world knows him. There are many Alexanders but only one was so great.

Respect

Kenny
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just a matter of taste Smile
Thanks for sharing your view! It's nice to see people can still disagree without starting a shouting match, this has become rare on the www.

*bows*
iskanderos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

godsail

hail and respect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: